Saturday, May 24, 2008

Leo the Brown and White Dog

Ding dong! Ding dong! Our doorbell was ringing. Whenever that happens we run as fast as we can back and forth from the front door to the back door, barking and barking!! There’s only one reason the doorbell can be ringing. Someone must be here to see us. This time it was the neighbor person coming to say one of our dogs had gotten out and was running down the alley. My person quickly came back in the house and counted all of our noses. We were all there. Of course we were there, I went for an extended walk a couple of years ago, and I’ll never do that again.

My person grabbed a leash and went back outside. I couldn’t figure out what was going on. If my person was taking a leash outside, why wasn’t I on the other end of it? A few minutes later, my person came back in the house carrying a little brown and white dog. My person put the dog down on the floor. I took one look at it and thought of the line from The Color Purple, “You sho is ugly!” That little dog must have been some kind of a mix. I think his mom must have been a Papillon and his dad must have been whatever dog happened to be in the neighborhood at the time. He even had bulgy green eyes. I’ve never seen a dog with green eyes before. Perdu really didn’t like the ugly dog. He started growling at it. My person got mad and put Perdu and me outside. It’s wasn’t fair that I had to go too, but Perdu starts barking if I’m not right there with him. When there’s too much barking, my person’s face turns all red.

We watched through the window as my person made some posters and took the ugly dog back out the front door. After about an hour my person came back but without the ugly dog. My person told me some girls pointed out the house where the ugly dog lived. The people weren’t home, but the dog’s neighbor person said she’d take him. She said his name was Leo. She also said he was bad. I guess he gets out of his yard a lot and goes around the neighborhood causing trouble. No wonder Perdu didn’t like him. She asked if my person wanted to keep him. My person quickly said, “No! We have enough dogs already!” I’m glad. I really didn’t want the ugly dog to live at my house. We really do have enough dogs already.

No comments: