Thursday, May 22, 2008

Perdu the Bichon?


Perdu came to visit yesterday. My person found him in our local pound and rescued him. Perdu’s last day was the day my person went to get him. Our pound doesn’t do adoptions. The local SPCA comes and evaluates the animals to see if they are adoptable. If they’re adoptable and the SPCA has room, they get another chance. If there’s no room, they get euthanized after 7 days. Perdu was on his seventh day and there was no room for him at the SPCA. My person named him Perdu (pronounced pair do) because it’s French for overlooked. We all think Perdu was overlooked at the pound.

My person said Perdu will stay with us until he has a new forever home. My person’s friends at Small Paws http://www.smallpawsrescue.org/ will help find Perdu a new home. I really hope it’s soon! When Perdu came to our house yesterday, we all had fun running and playing in our back yard. Perdu had to leave his special scent on everything in the yard to say he’d been there. Then Dudley would have to leave his scent. Then I’d leave mine. Then Mack would leave his. Then Perdu would start the whole thing over again. You’d never seen so many legs lifting in the air so fast. Honey just sat there and watched.

Perdu must think he’s at Six Flags and I’m the main attraction. He tried riding me around the yard whenever he wasn’t leaving his mark somewhere. At first I didn’t mind. He’s still pretty much a puppy, and you’re supposed to be nice when you have company. After a while it got pretty old. He kept doing it all night long. I’d tell him to get off me, but pretty soon he’d try to get another piggy back ride.

Finally it was bedtime. Mack and I got in our box. I figured Perdu couldn’t bug me anymore. Then he started scratching on the door to my box. My person put him in his box. I don’t think Perdu liked it very much. He barked at least once an hour all night long. I didn’t get much sleep and I was pretty grumpy this morning.

As soon as Perdu got up this morning, he tried to get another piggy back ride. There must be something wrong with his legs. Why else would he want me to take him for a ride? I showed him though. When we came back in this morning, I hid under my person’s bed. Perdu looked all over the house but he couldn’t find me.

I’ll let you in on a little secret…I think Perdu is actually a poodle.

No comments: